Many people have a snoring problem, but for nearly 22 million Americans, the problem is far from trivial. Sleep apnea is described as excessive snoring, but the main issue is that your breathing occasionally stops for periods during sleep. This can cause increased blood pressure and restriction of oxygen to the brain and bloodstream. Research shows that there are simple ways of how to self-care for sleep apnea symptoms.
What Are the Symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
- Waking up feeling as if you’re gasping for breath
- Problems falling asleep (or staying asleep once you do)
- Chronic drowsiness or sleepiness
- Waking up with dry mouth or an irritated throat
- Symptoms of sleep deprivation during the day, even after a full night of sleep (i.e., headaches, problems with concentration, irritation)
Sleep apnea symptoms can increase the risk of severe health issues and even lead to other life-threatening situations. If you think you are suffering from sleep apnea, contact a professional who can fit you for a sleep apnea mouthpiece or a related device. This is the best means of immediate relief.
How to Self-care for Sleep Apnea Symptoms
- Avoid any food and drink that can affect your sleep quality, such as caffeinated beverages and sugar.
- Get into a consistent bedtime routine. A minimum of seven hours each night can improve sleep apnea symptoms.
- Try exercises that help release stress hormones. We highly recommend yoga, but stretching for around ten minutes can help regulate your body. However, all forms of exercise are great self-care for sleep apnea symptoms.
- Oral appliances are the most effective treatment for mild to moderate sleep apnea. However, there are alternative options for patients with severe symptoms. For more complicated sleep apnea, an oral appliance and CPAP may be used in combination.
If you suffer from sleep apnea or think you may have sleep apnea symptoms, schedule an appointment today. Dr. Austin and his team would love to sit down and discuss any issues you may be having.
Here at Austin Family Dentistry, we offer total dental care for the whole family. This includes kids’ dental care, family orthodontics, sedation dentistry, and more. We don’t just treat your sleep apnea, but we also provide convenient family dental care for you and your loved ones!
If you liked How to Self-Care for Sleep Apnea Symptoms, be sure and check out Here is the Best Way to Treat Sleep Apnea
Austin Family Dentistry Maumelle