You should never ignore an injury to the teeth or gums. Dental emergencies are often serious issues that can cause lasting damage and pain if you don’t handle it appropriately. Ignoring a problem can lead to needing extensive and expensive treatments to reverse the effects later on.
But what do you do to treat a dental emergency until you can schedule an appointment with your Little Rock family dentist? We’ve laid out some of the common emergencies and how you can handle them at home:
- Rinse your mouth out with warm water if your tooth is hurting
- Use dental floss to remove food that could be lodged between teeth
- Use a cold compress to help with any swelling
- Don’t put aspirin or other painkillers directly on the tooth or gums
- Rinse your mouth with warm water and flush out any pieces of tooth
- Save any pieces that have chipped off and bring to the dentist
- Use gauze to stop any bleeding in the gums, lips, or cheeks
- Apply a cold compress to the painful area
Knocked Out Tooth
- Hold the tooth by the crown and rinse it off
- Don’t remove any tissue that’s still attached to the tooth
- Try to place the tooth back in its socket
- If you can’t put it back, put it in milk or salt water on your way to the dentist
- Try using dental floss to remove whatever is stuck
- If you can’t dislodge it, don’t use anything that could scratch your enamel.
- Don’t panic! Crowns can come loose and fall off occasionally.
- Save the crown and bring it to the dentist with you
- If you have tooth pain, you can try to reaffix the crown temporarily
- Use toothpaste, dental cement, or denture adhesive to help hold it in place until your dentist replaces it
Abscess or Infection
- Look for a small, painful, pimple-like swelling on the gums
- Rinse with warm salt water to help relieve pain and swelling and see your dentist immediately.
If you have a dental emergency, don’t wait until the pain is unbearable to get it fixed. Use these tips to provide temporary relief for your tooth troubles until you can see your dentist.
Dr. Bryan Austin and his team of dentists in Little Rock and Maumelle, Arkansas can help you create the smile you’ve been dreaming of this season at our award-winning Arkansas family dental practice. Click HERE to schedule a consultation with us today! New patients receive FREE teeth whitening for a limited time!